Saturday, April 18, 2009

My First Backpacking Trip

Although I am sure any avid backpacker would just shake their head and laugh at me, but I went on my first backpacking outing! We left from my house and headed toward the ocean. We got a subway for dinner (which helped me pack light) and started walking down the beach. It was a beautiful afternoon, and we had the beach pretty much all to ourselves.


Since we were planning on keeping the hike pretty short, Daisy came with us too!
I guess we weren't totally alone on the beach......

Seals were even checking us out from the bay.

This was our first break spot. We had just technically left the spit, and now were officially on the beach. Daisy wasn't nearly as tired as she looked.....yet.

This table was at out break site. I stared at it for a little bit, and was quite turned off by the whole thing. Then Jered walked around it, and we were both pleasantly surprised.

Please Leave???? What is that supposed to mean?
Oh....when you go to the other side, it says "FOR ALL". That is a little more inviting.
Then it gets even better....to enjoy for all! Oh that is so sweet, and we sure were enjoying!
I still managed to find a mushroom in the middle of spring on the beach. What a crazy place to grow!
We found a great place between Gov. Patterson and Beachside state park. There were a few people around, but none with the same idea as us. We climbed up on a little hill, and found a little dip in the sand that would protect us from the wind.
This picture was going to be so cute, but Daisy caught me watching her.
This was my view, lying on the sand with my backpack. Out of the wind, and as quiet as the beach can be. It was so beautiful.
Since we had only walked a few miles, Daisy was still in the mood for playing. She couldn't understand the we had other things to do, like enjoy ourselves......
And watch the magnificent sunset!
And watch other animals enjoy the sunset as well.....Maybe they weren't enjoying it like we were, but it was attractive to them for some reason, maybe food?
We, and mostly Jered set up the tent just before the sun went down. We had gathered some wood earlier, and once it got dark, we lit up the beach with an orange glow.
Daisy slept under the rain fly on Jered's tent, but by the time we got up, she had moved out onto the sand to sleep. She seemed to have more stretch out room there.
We had a great morning view.
Daisy woke up slowly.
The sun was peeking out through the trees. No doubt it was going to be a beautiful day.
I love it when I am right.
Heading back home, the seals greeted us once again.
My legs were tired and a little sore, but I think it worked out good. I am going to try to walk everyday with a backpack, so I will be in good enough shape to tackle our next trek. In a few weeks we are taking a long weekend and hiking from work to my house, which we are thinking is at least 24 miles (that is of course if we don't get rained out:). I am a little worried since I was tired from this hike (around 5 or 6 miles round trip), but I know I can do it, I just need some practice! As long as I see beautiful things all around me (and we are going to hike on the beach!) I will have good excuses to stop and take breaks; so I can take pictures. And I have a feeling I am going to need a lot of breaks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the seals and daisy are so cute, I can hardly stand it! Yay for your first backpacking trip and yay for gardening. I'm hoping to do a pumpkin garden this year, so I have free pumpkins to eat, carve, paint, decorate with this fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a pretty fun trip. Austin says you are a very good photographer (I agree).

    ReplyDelete