Saturday, April 18, 2009

Our New Garden

I am determined to have a garden this year, so Jered built me this raised bed. I love it because I can look out my bathroom window to see it.

We finally got some fill to put in it this last weekend, so I am going to track the progress through the summer.
My only regret so far was that I forgot to buy something to put at the bottom so the weeds don't grow through.

We have been growing lettuce and a few other vegetables in mini green houses (ie, the taco salad containers from Taco Bell) so we had a few things to plant already.
I couldn't help buying some older lettuce and some onion starts at the last nursery I went to though.
Inside now are a row of carrots, green onions, walla walla onions, cucumber (regular and pickling) and four rows of lettuce (all different ages). I have never made pickles before, but since Jered loves pickles so much, I am going to try it this year. My friend Jerry's wife has some wonderful pickle recipes she is going to give me this fall. I am so excited, mostly in hopes that I won't have to buy lettuce for the summer. I hate it because I never finish the whole head, then I end up throwing away some, and that makes me crazy!!
This is also going to be awesome because this raised bed is the only place that is above all of the laundry and bath water run off. The black pipe beside the raised bed is my bathtub drain, it goes past the raised bed and onto the ground below. Besides the fact that it doesn't seem legal to just drain grey water straight onto the ground, all of the chemicals that I use to cleanse myself (as well as my laundry soap and such) will not contaminate my garden. So I am really excited to learn new things about gardening, and have a place to track my project with my pictures on my blog! It is all working out so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment