Monday, February 16, 2009

My New House!!

Finally, I managed to find a place that will accept my dog and I! Although it is a little (very little) shack about 40 minutes from work, I am very excited to not have any crazy neighbors. My landlord seems to be nice, he really loves dogs, so I think that will add to our relationship. He has two black labs himself (one old and one young: best of both worlds!).
This is the carport, that lately, Jered has been using as a shop to make me stuff. The landlord remodeled the bathroom before I moved in. He installed a new shower/bathtub, but he turned the old one around and made it a doggie washing station! It will be the coolest thing ever once I get some gravel laid down so the mud doesn't splash back up onto Daisy. It has hot and cold water, which I think will save me some guilt trips that Daisy lays on me sometimes when she is getting hosed off with frigid water. Not like she doesn't swim in the ocean or anything, but hoses, that is what pushes her over the edge.

Over to the left of the picture is a boat covered with a giant black tarp. This is the main eyesore of the house. It was in the carport, but I wanted that space to use, so the landlord said he would move it out of there. He didn't move it far, so I suppose that is where it is going to stay. I am not impressed, especially because it is full of garbage. Some people really don't like cleaning up after themselves. It seems to be common practice, there are storage sheds all over the property, and the few I have explored in are jam-packed with junk, mostly garbage. I have a lot of work to do if I ever expect to use any of the storage. Luckily, I don't have very much stuff......

Just west of the carport is the washer/dryer building, then right next to it is a little picnic area. Daisy has decided that she likes to pee there in the morning, so I am not sure how much "hanging out" there I will do, but hey, it is just pee.
Just past the picnic table is a trail that goes past the compost box and down to.......
A SUPER awesome fire pit that Jered and I built! The burn barrel was already there, but we went to Neptune State Park and collected (for personal use only :) some round rocks for the pit. It weighed my car down quite a bit, but it was well worth it! I LOVE FIRE PITS!!
We had our first fire Saturday night, and it was wonderful! I am the most excited about having a ton of fires, and it is starting to get darker later, which gives me a great opportunity. Even though it is tiered, there is a great seating area around it. So cool.
When you are sitting around the fire pit (assuming that it is still light outside) this is the view toward the water. I am not right on the river, but I am really close to a slough that comes off of the river. So it is kinda muddy, but it changes dramatically four times a day! At high tide, there are ducks and other birds floating around, then during low tide, the muddy underground is exposed weaving a maze of small canals.
This looks the other way from the fire pit, toward the road. There are plenty of trees to run around, or into if one doesn't have a flashlight! There are some Alder, mostly Cedar, a couple of Firs, and one big Redwood right in the middle. The Redwood makes the best forest litter, the needles love to stick to Daisy's tail.
This is looking from the fire pit toward my house.
This is closer to the road (can see my entrance gate through the trees) to another picnic table. The Redwood is in the right corner of the picture. There at one time was a gazebo here (see pile of wood) but during a storm that we had in January it blew over and is pretty much broken forever. We took the roof off and made it into a little covered area for firewood, and have left the walls in a pile for now. There is a climbing rosebush that is attempting to crawl up that white thing, so I do want to fix that at some time.
From the demolished gazebo is a trail that leads back up to my carport and front door.
Since my house is too small to have a dining room table, I have decided that this is going to have to be it. I think I am going to have to wait until spring to take advantage of it, it is really cold out still. I think this shrub behind it will bloom something crazy in the spring, which in turn will be a beautiful place to sit and hang out.
This is the view that I have out my kitchen window. There is just under a dozen blueberry bushes right outside my window, which I hope this summer will produce enough berries to make some jam! I amazingly have already almost ate my entire stock of blueberry. Luckily that wasn't the only flavor I made, so I think I will make it through the winter.
It is sure a nice view to look at while washing dishes!
It is really fun working outside! Jered built me some shelves, and I got to stain or paint them; a little bit of both. I think Daisy likes being outside too, even though she just lays around.
She hasn't roamed too far away yet, so I just need to keep an eye one her. She tends to do that if I give her too much freedom.
This is the view of the slough, looking toward the river. So far, this is about as high of a tide that I have seen. So most of the time, there is still a little bit of land to stand on.
The ducks seem to swim away as soon as they see a golden retriever, so strange!!

No comments:

Post a Comment