Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weekend at the Whale Center

Got in some overtime this weekend :)
The weather has decided to stay for another day, and man, it is beautiful. I have to admit, I was a little cynical when Morris (the guy that works at the whale center full time) sent me multiple emails stating, "oh you are going to have so much fun this weekend, we are seeing fifty whales per day!!" I was like, fifty whales?? That sounds like a lot. Well he was kinda right, there are many whales out in the ocean. They are heading down to Mexico for this seasonal migration, so they are miles out in the ocean. I suppose it still has to count though. Wild Seagull playing on the mussel beds right in front of the center. It is a nice office view. I took this while I was sitting down looking out the window.

The jetty, no whales there though. It looked pretty calm from the shore, but really the swells were large enough that the boats were not going out in the morning. It seemed to calm down later in the afternoon. One of the commercial whale watching boats went out late in the afternoon.
This seagull was chocking down a seastar. I don't understand what kind of crazy animal would think that would fit down their throat. Very interesting.....

A group of Oystercatchers were on the rocks, not catching oysters. I thought I remember them being very territorial creatures, but just in this shot, I can see at least four. Maybe they are all one big happy family, but I am more leaning toward my memory being wrong.

I caught these guys looking at me, I have no idea for how long.

Later there was some excitement! The coast guard helicopter started flying overhead. Normally, this is just a show that they perform when there are tons of people around. But today they happened to be looking for a old man that wandered away from his condo. He was wearing orange and black, as well as a ton of other people walking the streets. It got really close, one could almost feel the wind blowing from off the propeller.

Not sure if they found the guy or not, but they were searching around for fifteen minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment